what night bird in south Anchorage?

  • Pam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2013
      Hi fellow Birders,

      Last night at 2:00 a.m., a bird was calling in my neighborhood (between Huffman and DeArmoun, and between Old Seward and New Seward Hwy) which is near Oceanview.

      The call was a clear, sharp, short, high-pitched "Oo," similar to a small dog's single yap, falling slightly at the end of the tone. At first I thought it really was a dog, but then the sound came from a different direction every several calls as if the bird was sitting for a few minutes, then flying to another spot and calling, then changing again. It called for about 10-15 minutes before I realized I didn't hear it any more. The bird call woke me up, it was that loud. I looked outside, but at 2 a.m. it's now dark enough that I could not distinguish a bird anywhere.

      I have no knowledge of what night birds might be around here, including owls. It is my assumption that it was an owl, but could be anything. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them! It was quite cool to listen to it.

      Pam Eldridge
      south Anchorage close to Potters Marsh