30 Red necked phalaropes at Cannery Road ponds - Kenai

  • kennethtarbox
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2013
      On July 9th around 4:30PM, at the Cannery Road ponds, Kenai River Flats area there were 30 Red-necked Phalaropes, Yellowlegs, Dowitchers, Pintails, Savannah Sparrows and Western Sandpipers. This sighting is unusual for our area for numbers and timing. We get one or two phalaropes in the spring and fall but for the past week we have had phalarope numbers building with this peak last night. Shorebird numbers continue to build which is consistent with other observations from Anchorage and the Peninsula.