Nuthatch

  • gette frantz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10 9:16 AM
      I have a nuthatch with the long, crossed beak around my yard about once a day.
      Have seen this in chickadees only and think it may be noteworthy.
      I have tried to get ahold of the lady at Fish & Wildlife - last name Handle, I think - who is studying the chickadee beaks so was referred to her but haven't heard back from her so if anyone knows her or someone else who would be interested in this, please let me know.
      Georgette Frantz
      250-4554
      Sand Lake

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10 10:38 AM
        Gette,

        I was told that:

        The Alaska Science Center (USGS) tracks birds with beak deformities. They have a report form they like people to complete. See alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/landbirds/beak_deformity/observerreport.php

        Hope that helps!

        Jim in Homer

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10 5:19 PM
          Colleen Handel and co-workers study deformed-beak birds at USGS Alaska Science Center. She may be out in the field since it is summer. Lisa Pajot is another contact. Here is the website with information:
          http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/landbirds/beak_deformity/contact.html

          Joy Geiselman

          Sent from my iPad