Nesting Cape May Warblers

  • markvail45
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2013
      Cape May Warbler update: July 8, one month and a day after first sighting I located nest tree today observed both male and female taking bug balls in to tree every 5-10 minutes. Male flies in to middle of tree and spirals up within 6"-8" of the trunk until he reaches the obscured upper reaches of a 40'+ Black Spruce. The female as usual is harder to observe making her way into the top of the tree. Both exit two feet below the crown in a dive towards a lower tree some distance away. The male stopped singing 8 or 9 days ago, I presume time is short to see these birds as the young will likely fledge in the next 3-5 days. The map remains in the mailbox at mile 50.5 McCarthy Road. I will leave exact details to find the tree there too for any who might try for a sighting, and will post when the opportunity is past as soon as I'm sure they are moving on.