Potter Marsh Terns

  • Nancy McWilliams
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2013
      We stopped by early this afternoon, just after low tide on the flats.  There was absolutely no Arctic Tern activity on the ground.  We walked the bank at the larger turnout, saw a few, various sized seagull chicks, but no Terns.  I just happened to look up and saw literally dozens of Terns soaring overhead.  (Sometimes when we visit the provider birds all come back to the nesting sites together, so I do watch the skies).  It was hard to be sure, and I had a too difficult time with my binocs to focus, but it really looked as if the grown-ups were soaring and circling with the young ones.  There was a good breeze blowing and it stood to reason it was a good day to practice.  Very interesting to ponder.

      Also, saw the Grebe family too.  Successful visit today.  n

    • alaskan.mariner
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31

        Anyone know what happened to the nest at the main pullout?  A couple of days ago there were two eggs in the nest.  This afternoon I saw no sign of it.

        I also had to point out to a young couple whose chocolate lab was romping through the marsh chasing birds that the marsh is a wildlife sanctuary for nesting birds.  They claimed ignorance since they were from out of state, but I pointed out the big sign they walked past from where they were parked.  They then left hastily.

        Doesn't seem to be a good year for terns at Potter Marsh so far.

        Carl

      • Hilde Stapgens
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1

          I was there this morning, found the nest empty and thought they hatched and left. While taking photos I noticed something in the water near the nest location, turned out to be a dead tern. My first thought was some idiot messed with the bird and nest. But after I got over being upset I had to admit that it could have been any of their many predators.

          Hilde Stapgens

          German Wirehaired Pointer and Kuvasz in Alaska

          P: 907-522-3793; F: 907-743-9633

          www.HomeLoansYouCanUse.com  for Home Loans

          www.PerspectivesInTime.com  for Photography