Western Sandpipers at Kenai

  • kennethtarbox
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2013
      At 1 PM today I visited the Kenai Wildlife Viewing Platform and the ponds off Cannery Road near Inlet Salmon, Kenai. There were two Hudsonian godwits feeding on the river bank along with Bonaparte gulls, herring gulls, mew gulls, and glaucous winged gulls. In the river was a red throated loon along with Arctic terns feeding on out-migrating salmon smolts.

      At Cannery Road, across the river from the viewing platform, there were 200 western sandpipers along with two dozen dowitchers and over 50 yellowlegs. The sandpipers have been building in numbers over the past week and it looks like the reverse migration has started.