Mile 15 Trumpeter Swan report?

  • c_griz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2013
      I understand Channel 2 News drove down from Anchorage on June 25th to do a report on the nesting TRUMPETER SWANS and their 4 recently hatched cygnets at the Mile 15 Seward Highway pullout.

      I checked it out twice the next day and did not see any swans. Has anyone seen or heard reports of this swan family? The cygnets certainly could not fly away!

      There were two adult Trumpeter Swans at Mile 1 Nash Road that evening, not nesting.

      I hope all is well, and would really appreciate updates on any sightings.

      Happy Birding!
      Carol Griswold
      Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter
    • pinetree22robin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2013
        I drove out to mile 15 this early afternoon and saw the adult Trumpeter
        Swans. I hung out on the boardwalk looking for them until I was thoroughly
        soaked and finally gave up and headed back to my car when I realized there's a
        whole section of the pond that you can't see from the boardwalk. I walked
        down the hwy. along the guardrail about 100' past where the boardwalk ends.
        I could see the heads of the two adults in the tall marsh grass to the far
        right of the pond. Their bodies, and any cygnets were out of view. Too
        rainy for photos.

        I have a question about the two Trumpeter Swans at Mile 1 Nash Rd. Until
        you said they were non-nesting, I assumed they were nesting. I've checked
        them out at least five or six times in the past two weeks and every time,
        except once, only one swan was swimming around and the other swan was sitting
        in the exact same place in the grass. I figured that one was on a nest. How
        do you tell whether swans are nesting or not?

        Thank you for all your great reports, hints and advice!

        robin
        on the edge of the pine barrens - south jersey
        in Seward for a few weeks