Northern Hawk Owl Alert

  • w
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2013
      2 or 3 weeks ago a very credible birder reported a Northern Hawk Owl at the Fish Creek Bridge on Anchorage's Coastal Trail on two consecutive days. Several of us missed the second sighting by 30 seconds.

      Then last Friday morning around 7:30am, I heard a Hawk Owl flying over the Turnagain Neighborhood. It is possible that we have a Hawk Owl that may have nested in the Fish Creek Estuary.

      The bird was last seen flying into the woods on the Railroad Track side of the Estuary. This is a high-traffic area on the Coastal Trail, and it could be very productive if everyone took one extra scan when they pass by. Maybe we've got a Hawk Owl.

      w keys
      Spenard