51 species from Soldotna to Seward

  • kennethtarbox
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2013
      George, Bev, Connie, and I had a 13 hour birding adventure from Soldotna to Seward and back. Below is a list of the 51 species we saw and some notes on exact locations.

      Kenai - Seward road trip, Kenai Peninsula County, Alaska, US ( Map )

      Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:00 AM

      Duration:13 hour(s)

      Distance:200.0 mile(s)

      Comments:We left from Soldotna. Birds of special interest included the following : In Seward we found most of the birds with chestnut backed chickadees seen across from the hospital along 1st street, rufous hummingbirds at Ava's bird feeded off Nash Road, Bohemian waxwings, Pacific loons and Northern Waterthrush at Rock Lake on Skilak Loop road, pine grosbeaks and woodpeckers at Ava's and pine grosbeaks along Skilak Loop Road, Townsend's warblers at Lowell Point State Park, and the grebes at mile 15 of the Seward Highway. The Rusty blackbird was also at Mile 15 of the Seward highway - there is a long viewing boardwalk at this site which overlooks a small pond and marsh area. Harlequin ducks and Marbled murrelets were along Lowell Point Road in Seward. Warblers were found at various spots along Skilak Loop road and side roads as well as most of our stops. The solitary sandpiper was found along the lower boat launch road off Skilak Lake in a small marsh area on the right side.

      Trumpeter Swan X

      Harlequin Duck X

      Surf Scoter X

      Pacific Loon X