Gambell Update

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
      June 12th-Paul Lagasi found a Bar-tailed Godwit and a Pacific Golden Plover (seen by all). We located a Short-eared Owl and also saw a flock of 16 Sandhill Cranes.
      The Hawfinch was not seen.

      June 13th-I located a Dovekie on the cliffs in the early morning. Paul Lagasi flushed a female Siberian Rubythroat in Old Town while we were doing a sweep. It was seen well by all and photographed by Paul.

      Chris Feeney
      Martinez, GA
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
        Winds shifted and have been mainly from East/Northeast. No Asian strays, but a few interesting birds.

        June 12th-Short-eared Owl

        June 13th-Bank Swallow

        June 14th-Gray-cheeked Thrush

        June 15th-Black Guillemot, Tundra Swan, Ancient Murrelet Arctic Warbler (3)

        June 16th-King Eider, Ancient Murrelet

        June 17th=Yellow-billed Loon, Osprey

        Chris Feeney
        Martinez, GA
      • Jim Stevenson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2013
          I am running my organization’s Alaska trip, as always this month, beginning in the Kenai 10 June.

          First, the Chiswells were less birdy than most years but we got the big three: Rhino, Parakeet Auklet and Thick-billed Murre.

          Most forest birding was a little slow, like they hadn’t all come in, or some such. The trail leading downhill into Hope was sorta slow but there was a huge flock of Red Crossbills feeding right over our heads. The fabled Goshawk nest in no mas.

          Numbers of Townsend’s Warblers seem high this year, and Boreal Chickadees are quite plentiful. We finally found Aleutian Terns out over Cook Inlet, but almost no seabirds flying. We did get all 3 scoters, especially Black, odd flocks of C Murres and the occasional Pacific Loon. No shearwaters or other pelagics (except PECO). Anchor Point was uncharacteristically slow, and even the eagles were scarce. I think they were at a large mammal kill a few miles up the highway, out in the low stuff to the East.

          The pair of Horned Grebes have chicks at the usual place near Potter Marsh. Several hybrid gulls helped me play “stump the chump” with my clients.

          We just spent a dreadful day in Denali Park. Aside from a momma Griz walking down the road right in front of us, and a pair of LT Jaegers, it was miserably slow. I doubt the warm, sunny days really help Alaska birding very much, so the real “find” of the day was the Mountain itself, out all day, uncovered. Tomorrow we begin the Alaskan Highway, and then up the Haul Road to Prudhoe and Barrow. That’ll rack a few lifers...

          I’ll be at Potter Marsh in early July and I hope to see some of you guys then.

          Jim

        • Gavin Bieber
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2014
            Today (6/4) a flock of 5 Reeve was located in the corner marsh. Yesterday's Common Greenshank continues at various locations. The longipennis Common Tern continues at the culvert. Yesterday's Emperor Goose was redound near the culvert, and at least 2 Red-necked Stints and a Common Ringed-Plover continue south of the lake in the gravel ponds. Still dense fog.

            Sent from my iPhone