Re: Question about Pacific loons at Connors Lake

  • jloonatic
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2013
      Not sure what has happened to the Pacific Loons on Connors Lake. This is the first year in the past eleven years that they have not laid eggs in a timely fashion. I walked out to the lake this morning and saw three Pacific Loons in a group showing no aggression. I assume they were the resident pair and a visitor. There is the possibility that they nested elsewhere on the lake. Or perhaps the female is getting too old? Or the lake has gotten too polluted? I will wait a bit longer before pulling the plug.

      Jean Tam
      Connors Lake Loon Cam Project
      Anchorage Audubon Society

      --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, "joy_peter" <joy_peter@...> wrote:

      > Des anyone know if the Pacific loons have nested along the shore instead of on the raft that is monitored by the loon cam? I have been checking it online via the Alaska Dispatch/UStream site since they arrived. The loons mated, and it was predicted on the website several days ago that they would have laid eggs by now, but there has not been any update on the site or on Alaska Dispatch as to what is happening.......it would be nice if bird watchers or biologists would update on the website so people would know.

    • Chris Maack
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2013
        The Pacific Loons on Goose Lake don't seem to be nesting this year
        either. On a couple of occasions I've seen three on the lake, being
        peacable, and a couple of times I've seen a pair loafing together on
        the water. That's what I saw today.

        Chris Maack
        Anchorage