Looking for PHEASANTS in the MAT-SU Valley

  • Charles Iliff
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2013
      I am working with two young birders and their Boy Scout birding merit badge. One of the many requirements is that they can identify 2 introduced species. I have Starlings covered. Does anyone know where I might show them PHEASANTS?

      Thanks in advance,

      Chuck Iliff
      Palmer

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2013
        Hi Chuck,

        As a former scout master, thank you for helping these boys.

        I see pheasants frequently in Homer, just south of the airport.

        Are there either House Sparrows or pigeons (Rock Pigeons) in cities like Anchorage? I tend to ignore them but seems like I saw some there.

        I’m excited about returning too Alaska 3 June!

        Jim, at the Salt Lake

        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2013
          There is a breeding population of Mariam's turkeys in Indian. Of course, there are pigeons everywhere. The only house sparrows in Alaska that i am aware of are on the west coast and they are not introduced, they are Asian vagrants.

          Derek

          Sent from my quantum computing VID (very intelligent device)

          On May 31, 2013, at 1:33 PM, "Jim Stevenson" <galornsoc@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chuck,
          >
          > As a former scout master, thank you for helping these boys.
          >
          > I see pheasants frequently in Homer, just south of the airport.
          >
          > Are there either House Sparrows or pigeons (Rock Pigeons) in cities like Anchorage? I tend to ignore them but seems like I saw some there.
          >
          > I’m excited about returning too Alaska 3 June!
          >
          > Jim, at the Salt Lake

        • Beth Fleischer
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2013
             I have seen a pair of pheasants in Bayshore, in the AM several
            times, crossing the main road.

            On May 31, 2013, at 1:33 PM, "Jim Stevenson" wrote:

            > Hi Chuck,
            >
            > As a former scout master, thank you for helping these boys.
            >
            > I see pheasants frequently in Homer, just south of the airport.
            >
            > Are there either House Sparrows or pigeons (Rock Pigeons) in cities
            like Anchorage? I tend to ignore them but seems like I saw some there.

            > I’m excited about returning too Alaska 3 June!
            >
            > Jim, at the Salt Lake

            Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            To change settings via email:
            AKBirding-digest@yahoogroups.com
            AKBirding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Gay Taunton
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2013
              There are pigeons off the Parks Hwy near Gator Glass. They roost on the red wooden building there. Also seen some under the bridges at Eagle River/Glenn Hwy intersection.

              Gay Taunton
              lgtaunton@...