Late May Birding in Unalaska

  • suzigolodoff
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2013
      May 27, 2013

      Here's a list of species from three days of birding in the rain around town, and then a day out on the boat.

      May 23 through 26 around town, along the roads and beaches and seen from shore:

      Cackling Geese (9)
      Greater Scaup
      Lesser Scaup ( 2)
      Harlequin Ducks
      White-winged Scoters ( not too many now)
      Black Scoters ( even fewer)
      Red-breasted Mergansers
      Common Mergansers
      Rock Ptarmigan
      Pelagic Cormorant
      Double-crested Cormorant
      Bald Eagles (and eaglets)
      Golden Eagle (1)
      Black Oystercatcher
      Rock Sandpiper
      Least Sandpiper
      Wandering Tattler
      Semi-palmated Plover
      Glaucous-winged Gull
      Glaucous Gulls ( 1/2 dozen)
      Black-legged Kittiwakes
      Pigeon Guillemot
      Marbled Murrelet
      Ancient Murrelet
      Belted Kingfisher
      Common Raven
      Pacific Wren
      American Dipper
      Savannah Sparrow
      Song Sparrow
      Fox Sparrows ( 1/2 dozen at least)
      Lapland Longspur
      Snow Bunting
      American Pipit
      Gray-crowned Rosy Finch
      Common Redpoll

      I also got two reports of a probable Short-eared Owl on Strawberry Hill ( May 26 )
      and a swan ( probably Tundra Swan) on Unalaska Lake ( May 26)

      Now for the day at sea, May 27, 2013:

      We ran west as far as Wislow, then out toward the Chelan Banks and then east to Unalga and the Baby Islands.

      White-winged Scoters (one large group of non breeding and quite a ways offshore)
      Harlequins
      Laysan Albatross (11)
      Northern Fulmars (mostly dark but also a few very white ones)
      Shearwaters (by the hundreds)
      Pelagic Cormorants
      Double-crested Cormorants
      Glaucous-winged Gulls
      Glaucous Gull
      Black-legged Kittiwakes (almost all of them well offshore and first year birds)
      Common Murre
      Pigeon Guillemot
      Marbled Murrelet
      Kittlitz's Murrelet
      Ancient Murrelet
      Whiskered Auklet
      Horned Puffin
      Tufted Puffin ( thousands)

      And while way offshore we also had four Savannah Sparrows and an American Pipit fly overhead.

      Suzi Golodoff
      Aleutian Birding and Natural History