Gambell and Nome early/mid- May highlights

  • Paul Lehman
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2013
      I will not be in w. Alaska this spring, though I will be on cruise ships
      offshore of extreme se. Alaska three times between now and early August,
      so will hopefully be able to report on some interesting pelagic species
      from there a few times. Anyway, here are some highlights I have heard
      about via just two observers from GAMBELL and NOME during the first
      three weeks of May but which have not been posted on this listserve, and
      which I have come across through my position as eBird reviewer for those
      areas:

      NOME (observer: Ian Davies)

      DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT 1 in Cape Nome area 22-24 May (a couple
      previous Nome area records)
      HUDSONIAN GODWIT: 1 at Nome River mouth 22 May (casual visitor)

      GAMBELL (observer: Brad Benter)

      WHOOPER SWAN: 1 present at least 2-3 May (and perhaps earlier)
      Rough-legged Hawk: local breeder arrival 5+ May
      Pacific Golden-Plover: 2 arrived already on 3 May (seems early, but
      Brad says close to typical)
      COMMON SNIPE: 1 on 18 May
      Common Raven: 40 present is a high total
      HORNED LARK: 1 asian flava-type (yellow throat) 18 May
      Northern Wheatear: 18 seen on 17 May is a good count in spring,
      especially so early in season
      HOUSE SPARROW: male first seen by local resident Clarence Irrigoo
      present at least 13-17 May (one previous Gambell sighting; likely
      originated in ne. Russia, where a local resident in several of the
      larger coastal towns)

      also, good counts of 7+ Slaty-backed Gulls and a one-day total of 2000
      Pigeon Guillemots (18 May)

      --Paul Lehman, San Diego