RFI: owls

  • icsanchez2003
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2013
      Dear AK Birders:

      I live in Austin, TX and I'll be in Anchorage next week for one full day (Thursday) on my way to Gambell. I am pursuing a Photo Big Year in the ABA area and I have recently passed the 400 mark (414):

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/isaaccsanchez/sets/72157632513641635/

      If anyone knows the whereabouts of any the following owls: GREAT GRAY, BOREAL, SAW-WHET, and NORTHERN HAWK in the Anchorage area, I would really appreciate some help locating them. I have visited Anchorage for a few days in the last 2 summers, so I am familiar with birding hotspots such as Westchester Lagoon and Potter Marsh. I have already photographed 6 owl species this year, but I lack the aforementioned.

      Looking for owls reminds me of an amusing experience I had several years ago in Reifel Park near Vancouver. As my wife and I drove into the Park one spring afternoon, we noticed a group of people milling around in the parking lot and it was obvious they were birders. So I pulled up to the group, lowered the car window, and asked if they had seen any good birds that day. They looked at each other and smiled, and after a long pause one of them said, "how about Boreal and Saw-whet Owls?" After dropping my jaw, I said: Where? I'm already thinking to myself, they must be in some deep part of the Park and will be difficult to find. Well it turns out both owls were in a small conifer right there in the parking lot no more than 20 feet from my car! As we all know too well, birding sometimes depends more on luck than skill.

      Thanks in advance for any help,

      Isaac Sanchez
      Austin, TX