Help us help shorebirds

  • George Matz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2013
      Shorebirders;

      As you probably know, for the past five years the Kachemak Bay Birders has been conducting a shorebird monitoring project where every five days, from mid-April to late May, a team of about 20 persons monitors the spring shorebird migration on the Homer Spit for two hours at the point where the outgoing tide is approaching 15.0 feet. Because of our intense coverage, we are pretty much aware of any shorebird that is in the area for that two hour period. However, what we don't really know well is what happens in-between.

      Here is where we need your help. Over the next week or two, lots of people will be visiting Homer to see our shorebirds and other attractions. If you enter your observations on eBird, we will be able to get a lot of supplementary data that can help fill in the gaps between our scheduled monitoring sessions. As you may have already discovered, eBird can be a pretty powerful tool for tracking bird populations, as well as keeping your own records, providing there are lots of entries. So help us out by recording your observations in the Homer area on eBird. From that we will be able to sort through the data to get a better idea of what we might be missing.

      Keep on Birding

      George Matz