Rough-legged Hawks

  • suzigolodoff
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 11:03 PM
      May 6, 2013

      I took a drive up Unalaska valley this evening and scanned the high ridges for Rough-legged Hawks. Way up there, as mere specks against the sky, at first I only saw the ever present bald eagles. Then swooping out from behind the ridge, a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK began chasing them off! I only saw one hawk, but given the territorial behavior, perhaps the mate is already on a nest up there somewhere.

      Suzi Golodoff
      Aleutian Birding and Natural History