Cordova shorebird festival

  • Anthony Newcomer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2013
      I returned from the Cordova festival this evening and wanted to share some of my experience. Before that I wanted to ask about the recent and not so recent sub-species separation regarding Canada geese. Well known is the smaller Cackling but today I heard the term Dusky in reference to a form of Canadas. Is that possible and how is it differentiated on the genetic level??

      As for the festival itself I think very, very successful. Aside from the crazy snow, rain and wind happening many birds were seen. Mostly today the last day. Weather was a drastic improvement today as well. Great for Cordova standards:)

      Today was record setting for me regarding species. A total of 46 which surpasses my Seward field trip of 2012 by 2. Some noteworthy species I got were Great-white fronted geese(lfer), red crossbills(lfer), semi-palmated plover(lfer), semi-palmated sandpiper(lfer), American/Pacific golden plovers(lfer), Ruby crowned kinglet(lfer)-heard, varied thrush(lfer)-heard, a kildeer to add to the ones seen on the peninsula:), American dipper, Harlequins, great grey owl that soared directly in front of us:), Bairds sandpiper(lfer), greater yellowlegs sandpiper, wimbrels(lfer), Merlin,pine siskins, common redpolls, the usual suspects of mews, g-winged, herring gulls, arctic terns. Northern shovelers, green-winged teals, mallards, American wigeons, trumpeter swans, canada geese as referenced earlier to bring the H20 fowl guys. Cannot forget about the horned grebes fornicating and nest building and their cousins the red-necked grebes, common loon and Sandhill cranes. A red-throated loon was also documented but not by us. We tried in vane to find it as it would have been a lifer to:)

      I made great progress in the ability to identify pipers during this great trip and slowly but surely using my ears better with the help of Nancy Lethcoe coming along with us. That is all until the Homer festival coming up next weekend.

      Always a good day to bird!:)

      Sent from my iPhone