Talkeetna Bird-A-Thon

  • wax4fun
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013
      A handful of intrepid birders participated in the 22nd or so annual Talkeetna Bird-A-Thon yesterday. Despite valiant efforts, we recorded only about 46 species - a record low that truly reflects the winter conditions that still prevail in the Northern Susitna Valley. Notable by their absence for the first time ever were Amer. Wigeons, Arctic Terns, Swallows, and Y.R. Warblers. Only one sparrow was seen by the group, and even Juncos and Varied Thrush were hard to come by. The Susitna River is still largely covered by ice up to six feet thick, and the Saunders Crane Sanctuary in Trapper Creek has over two feet of snow on the ground and only a handful of cranes.
      Truly looking forward to spring.
      Chris Mannix
      Talkeetna, Alaska