Old Matanuska Townsite

  • Tom Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2013
      Early afternoon, Monday, April 22

      lots of geese: cackling, Canada, greater white-fronted, snow, & I am
      pretty sure a pair of Ross' (smaller, stubby bill, darker bill)
      ducks: long-tailed, mallard, Am wigeon
      swans: trumpeter

      Best seen from the Matanuska Rd, perhaps 100 yards after leaving Glen
      Hwy. Looking down on the birds.

      Tom Smith, Wasilla

    • J Pat Valentik
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2013
        There were at least four Tundra Swans a little after 7pm

        J Pat Valentik
        Huntsville, AR
        479 981 0901

        http://birdtravel.blogspot.com/

        On 4/22/2013 7:39 PM, Tom Smith wrote:
        > Early afternoon, Monday, April 22
        >
        > lots of geese: cackling, Canada, greater white-fronted, snow, & I am
        > pretty sure a pair of Ross' (smaller, stubby bill, darker bill)
        > ducks: long-tailed, mallard, Am wigeon
        > swans: trumpeter
        >
        > Best seen from the Matanuska Rd, perhaps 100 yards after leaving Glen
        > Hwy. Looking down on the birds.
        >
        > Tom Smith, Wasilla

      • Christopher Sahlstrom
        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2014
          A couple of Wilson Snipes circling with their loud winnowing calls. Two American Wigeons in the pond were closely overflown by a pair of hunting Northern Harriers. Also seen: Savannah Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Canada Geese, Mew Gulls, and Black-billed Magpies.

          Boondoc
        • 14c1afb661b9a38337e37eba83cb40cd
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 16
            Some pretty good activity on Spring Creek lately. Even flushed a snipe Saturday evening. Hiking the marshy banks is a piece of cake in the early mornings while everything is still frozen.