New Sightings

  • Linda Encelewski Henrikson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2006
      Fellow Birders:

      In addition to all the usual suspects already mentioned, here are my recent new sightings:

      Potter Marsh
      5/2/06
      Gadwall pair
      Black Turnstones

      5/3/06
      Thayers Gull
      Red Winged Blackbird

      5/4/06
      Arctic Tern

      Upper O'Malley & Little Campbell Creek
      5/3/06
      Northern Flicker
      Both Kinglets
      Varried Thrush

      5/5/06
      Rough Legged Hawk

      5/7/06
      Sandhill Cranes

      Also there are now two Northern Hawk Owls. I hear them nearly every night. The last five mornings I have heard them calling in the morning.

      The snow was depressing this morning but I still got to see great birds at Potter Marsh. Those Canvas Back are gorgeous especially with such a large group. That pretty little Eurasian Wigeon was back socializing. The gadwalls have also been real showoffs. I think it was a Red Tailed Hawk this morning but snow & low light makes me less positive.

      Springtrime in Alaska is Happy Birding!
      linda

    • davidsonne@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2006
        Pretty nice list. Can you give us more info about the Hawk Owls?
        David Sonneborn

[...]

        Remember -- Be nice!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ken_Russell@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2006
          Linda,

          It's pretty exciting to be hearing the Northern Hawk-Owls. They are only
          supposed to be vocal within a very short distance from thier nest site. So
          be sure to look around for a broken-off tree. When they are sitting on
          eggs, there may be very little of the bird visable.

          We had a pair nest at our house in Fairbanks a couple of years ago and it
          was great to get to watch them. The nest ws in a birch tree snag that was
          about 12 or 12 feet tall. When the chicks fledged, they were vocal 24
          hours a day for several days. The adults were flying all around the yard
          bring food to the scattered kids.

          Enjoy!

          Ken Russell
          Fairbanks, Alaska