Red Crossbill, Chester Creek, Anchorage

  • Declan Troy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 5:50 PM
      This afternoon I heard a Red Crossbill along Chester Creek near the
      Maplewood turnoff. This is west of Lake Otis and adjacent to the park known
      as Eastchester (not to be confused with the Spenard Crossing which is
      called Eastchester by many birders). This is not a particularly good area
      for crossbills but may represent the vanguard of others moving into the
      area saving birders a trip to Girdwood or Seward.

      A couple of juncos were also heard along a section of the trail where I
      have not previously had any this winter so might be spring arrivals.

      Declan