Redpolls

  • erik.hendrickson755
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 27, 2013
      Similar to other reports, I've seen significantly more redpolls at my feeders this year, compared to my 3 previous winters in Healy. Over the past 6 or so weeks, I've seen perhaps 15 to 30 redpolls daily; most are COMMON REDPOLLS, and as many as 1/4 have been HOARY REDPOLLS.

      They move around quickly and are surprisingly hard to observe. Dan Crowson gave me a tip: common redpolls are overall brownish and hoary redpolls are overall grayish - especially for the males. For females, I find that bill size and the amount of white on the rump are most useful. (Sibley shows 1st year females look very similar, but bill size again seems to be a useful field mark).

      I placed some photos (mostly poor light and out of focus, but useful for comparison) in album "ErikH".

      Erik Hendrickson
      Healy, AK
    • ak_zukes
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 15, 2016
        Anchorage Birch & Huffman area
        Had a single Hoary Redpoll show up today with a flock of about 50 Common Redpolls. After seeing the reports this past winter I was wondering if one would show up.

        Steve W.

      • wax4fun
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 16, 2016

          Two strange things occurred this morning. A flock of common redpolls appeared at the feeder - the first since last spring. And it was snowing!

          Chris Mannix

          Talkeetna