Northern Mockingbird ?

  • kenaibirder
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2013
      Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) (1)
      - Reported Mar 23, 2013 16:30 by Angie Hamill
      - North Peters Creek, Anchorage, Alaska
      - Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=61.4177503,-149.4250488&ll=61.4177503,-149.4250488
      - Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13496804
      - Comments: "Yes unbelievable. We heard a large variety of calls/songs while watching the bird. The white wing patches were very visible when it flew."

      Toby Burke
      Kenai, AK
    • Cathy Foerster
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26, 2013
        Not unbelievable.  There was a Mockingbird in downtown Anchorage for several years back in the 90's.  He was very lonely -- in spite of all the birders who came to see him.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2013
          I think what Toby, along with myself are interested in----- is this bird still around? The unbelievable comments were made by reporter listed. The cemetery bird made it through a few winters.
          Brad Benter
          Anchorage, Alaska

          To: tobyburke@...; AKBirding@yahoogroups.com
          From: cathyfoerster@...
          Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:13:55 -0700
          Subject: Re: [AK Birding] Northern Mockingbird ?

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 26, 2013
            Brad,
            Despite the well-documented presence of the Anchorage Northern Mockingbird in the late 1990's, given the almost annual reports of Northern Mockingbird observations from Upper Cook Inlet that turn out to be Northern Shrike, the Anchorage eBird reviewer has requested documentation from the observer to support the Northern Mockingbird report.

            In the interim, the Northern Mockingbird observation reported in the eBird Alert on March 24th is classed as "Unconfirmed." If confirmed, the observer has the option of posting a report on the akbirding website.
            Best regards,
            Bob Winckler
            Alaska eBird Editor
            Wasilla