Talkeetna Snow Bunting

  • robin song
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2013
      Greetings Birders!

          This latest snow storm brought a most welcome sight- a COMMON SNOW BUNTING! As I was tossing food onto the (flat) barn roof, after shoveling it clear of snow this am, the lovely black and white bird suddenly landed on the opposite end of the roof! It sounded a lovely, clear note before flying off over the garden while the magpies and ravens came in for their morning chow.

         The flock of 70+ REDPOLLS are still mobbing the feeders at the cabin, along with one lone female PINE GROSBEAK, so I'm hoping the bunting will find their mixed seeds. While the pair of GREY JAYS seem to be off nesting, the pair of DOWNY WOODPECKERS and pair of HAIRY WOODPECKERS are still coming to the suet daily. The SHARP SHINNED HAWK has been in the area all winter, coming by on occasion to make a grab at a redpoll. So far, I haven't seen it acctually catch a bird, but it looks healthy so I'm sure it's able to get a meal now and then, what with all these birds around.

          No OWLS this winter, which is unusual. I missed hearing the hooting of the Great Horned Owls, adding a perfect touch to the crisp, cold winter nights while I was out doing my nightly chores or walking with Lyra the dog, watching for the Aurora and picking out constellations amongst the glittering stars. Not as many hare and vole tracks in the snow, either, which may have something to do with the lack of owls.

         Welcome, beautiful Buntings, harbingers of spring!
      Happy Birding,
      Robin Song
      Talkeetna