Re: Dusky Thrush

  • sschuette01@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 22, 2013
      The Dusky Thrush was seen sporadically around the Aero Dr and Galactica Dr
      intersection from about 11:30-12:05. It was last seen in a crabapple behind
      a home just east of the intersection of Galactica Dr. and Aquarius Cr. just
      after noon.

      Scott Schuette
      Anchorage, AK

      Sent from my Motorola Smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

    • akredgreen
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 29, 2013
        Today (Friday) around 10:15 am I saw the Dusky Thrush in same spot Thede recently reported--north side of cul-de-sac at west end of Westland off Aero Dr. in Anchorage. The bird was perching by himself in taller tree behind house on cul-de-sac then flew down behind house presumably to feed on berry trees/bushes. Couple robins perched in nearby taller trees.
        Pat Pourchot
        Anchorage, AK
      • Opororniswarbler
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 29, 2013
          The bird was seen this morning between 10:30 and 11 between 34th and 35th just east of Wisconsin. The bird was associating with Robins perching fairly high up and active.

          Thanks to Dave Sonneborn and Peter Scully for help in finding it. What a beautiful bird!!

          Thanks!
          Neil

          Neil Hayward
          Cambridge, MA

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Keith Confer
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 29, 2013

            On my way to work this morning, I decided to detour to Turnagain to look for the Dusky Thrush.

            Bright blue jacket with dangling ‘nocs was someone I observed and a loud whistle from one birder to another birder clued me in that something might be afoot.

            I quickly parked, took my last sip of luke warm coffee, grabbed my camera, and off I trudged to follow the troops.  Me being the follower….

            The Dusky Thrush was found and watched for 30-40 minutes, with some Robins, but seemingly aloof from them.

            Got some okay pictures, one or two perhaps better than what I took in January earlier this year.  The better ones are on e-Bird.

            The bright blue jacket was David S.  (recognized by sight)

            The whistler was seemingly Peter S. (no relation to David S.)….recognized him from the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers earlier this fall at Carr Gottstein.

            The “whistelee” was that Massachusetts guy doing a “big year”…..Neil H. from my Google search….interesting reading and I’m pulling for this guy…he’s close, is seemingly pulling out all the “stops”, and got the Dusky Thrush (congrats to him)!

            It was cold!

            All had good looks for 30 – 40 minutes.  All seemingly left (me included)…probably to do a little warming in our cars.

            Ran into Pat P. after and we spent 20 minutes or so to no avail.  It was nice to put a face to a name that I recognize….

            Keith Confer

            Kacbirder

            Anchorage, AK

            orange coat

            green Ford truck

            largish camera and lens

          • Thede Tobish
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 20, 2013
              The Dusky T is currently with Robins at the bend near the north end of Captain Cook in north Turnagain. Friday 12:30 ish 12/20.

              Thede Tobish
            • Louann Feldmann
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 18
                i believe I may have found the Dusky Thrush here at Chester Creek where the finches are hanging out. It was a thrush that landed in the top of a very tall spruce tree with dark streaks down to its belly, more prominent than our other thrushes. Appeared to have black around its eye and color slightly reddish. Light is bad and I didn't have my scope just binoculars. It was alone and did not vocalize. A small plane flew over and it spooked. Flew east. The finches are here coming and going. Louann Feldmann