Homer/Kachemak Bay Bird Alert Information LIne (235-PEEP): 3-14-13

  • lani.raymond
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2013
      KACHEMAK BAY BIRD ALERT INFORMATION LINE
      (235-PEEP)
      March 14, 2013

      A GREAT GRAY OWL was spotted up West Hill Road about a third of a mile on March 4th and has been seen several days in that area. Another report from the area below Islands and Ocean near Two Sisters of another one, or the same one. And on the 14th there were two sightings on the Calvin and Coyle Trail.

      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE spotted from Land's End on the 12th. Also a few THAYERS' GULLS (first year), 6 GLAUCOUS GULLS (first winter), SLATY-BACKED GULL (late first winter). EURASIAN WIGEON (3-4) in Mud Bay. STELLER'S EIDERS west of the Spit mid-way out. (From Aaron Bowman on AKBirding)

      SNOW BUNTINGS were found near Mariner Park Lagoon on the 12th. In the area near the mouth of the outlet of the lagoon.

      A WHITE-THROATED SPARROW was seen out east of McNeil Canyon School on the 6th. This sightings makes 4 winters in a row of confirmed sightings here.

      Some reports of leucistic COMMON REDPOLLS from different parts of town and a report of HOARY REDPOLLS from East Hill Rd and a pair 10 miles out East End Rd.

      Many people comment on how many redpolls we have this year! More than many previous years that most of us can remember. However, I asked a long-time master birder here and he told me about 1984 when it was estimated that there were a million redpolls in the Homer area!! The peak of this phenomenon was in March, by the way. He said that George West was banding redpolls and doing some population estimates at this time. George West banded over 1400 redpolls that year but never got any of the bands back or heard anything about the birds he'd banded.

      IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BIRD!! (And only about a month until the cranes will be back!)