Homer/Kachemak Bay Birders' Trip 3-9-13

  • lani.raymond
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2013
      Sunday, March 10, 2013
      Sitting here today in white-out conditions, with blowing snow and zero visibility, I get to write about a wonderful birding trip just yesterday in sunshine and calm weather! A large group of Kachemak Bay Birders, led by Michael Craig, met at the IOVC, walked down the trail to Beluga Slough, and then out onto Bishop's Beach, birding all the way. The tide was high so the birds were closer to us, the weather quite perfect, and it was, as we say, A Great Day to Bird!! (Today, not so much...)

      It was great to see the EURASIAN WIGEON, (F.O.S. for many of us), and the STELLER'S EIDER and PACIFIC LOON out on the water. One alcid was spotted briefly but managed to elude identification. A sighting over the Slough might have been a pair of NORTHERN SHOVELERS. We tried to make it a definite sighting, but just they weren't quite seen long enough as they flew down toward the east end of the Slough.

      The 25 species found were:

      HORNED GREBE
      RED-NECKED GREBE
      COMMON LOON