Yesterday in Chenga Bay

  • Kate McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hello All,

      Yesterday I woke up to decidedly spring-like weather with the sound of ice dripping and a winter wren and varied thrushes singing outside my window.  (I'm sure though we will get at least one more dumping before spring is really here. )

      Didn't spot any white-winged crossbills in the village, but did spot 4 RED CROSSBILLS in the trees above the ferry dock.  A single GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL was cruising around the boat harbor.  PELAGIC CORMORANTS, RED-BREASTED MERGANZER, COMMON MERGANZER, RED-NECKED GREBES, HARLIQUIN DUCKS AND SINGLE COMMON LOON were hanging out off shore of Long Beach.  The CROWS were working the pop kelp beds on the half-tide with a BALD EAGLE cruising over making everyone nervous.  My feeder is still being swarmed by PINE SISKINS with a few REDPOLLS and CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES attempting to get some seed too. A few SLATE-COLORED JUNCOS hopped around under the berry bushes near the greenhouse. And of course, the ever present BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES, STELLER'S JAY and RAVENS kept the village under surveillance for any available food scraps.

      Happy Birding,

      Kate

      Kate McLaughlin

      McLaughlin Environmental Services