Hillside Park Owling - 2/28/13

  • Keith Confer
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2013
      Owled Hillside Park this evening with my wife and daughter. Heard two Northern Saw-whet Owls and a probable third. Also, saw a large owl alight in the top of a tree about 75 feet away, but alas it was quite dark, my pictures were worthless, and it didn't call. Based upon size, I would call it a Great-horned Owl, but I can't be sure.

      Surprisingly no Boreals tonight, but we didn't stay long either.

      kacbirder
    • afdmt
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2013
        I also have been hearing Boreal and Saw-whet owls calling in the evening when I ski View Point Trail and Old Rondy Trail from the airstrip over to Tudor Road. Saw-whets are loud and clear at several places.
        Last night at dusk, a small owl winged its way across the open clearing at the end of the Old Rondy Bridge, while I watched.
        Dianne Toebe, Anchorage