Homer/Kachemak Bay Bird Alert Information LIne (235-PEEP): 2-32-13

  • lani.raymond
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2013
      KACHEMAK BAY BIRD ALERT INFORMATION LINE
      (235-PEEP)
      February 23, 2013

      Some fairly mellow weather lately here and great birds as usual in our wonderful Homer.

      Talk about a hotspot! In the area behind the Bidarka Inn, there has been a HARRIS'S SPARROW (first sighting on December 18th) and was last seen on February 18th in with some WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS on Hidden Way. And in that area on the 21st a BRAMBLING was seen at the end of Waddell St.

      There were 1000 ROCK SANDPIPERS and one DUNLIN seen and photographed in the boat Harbor on the 11th, but they have since departed again. (We would love to know where they go when we are iced up. Across the Bay?)

      Very large flocks of COMMON REDPOLLS in my places, often around feeders emptying them out. (Speaking from my own experience.) A report from near the Hospital and another east of Miller's Landing of leucistic Redpolls. And one report from East Hill Rd of some HOARY REDPOLLS.

      Singing! A singing SAW-WHET OWL reported by a birder on Portlock Rd, a beautiful duet(tenor and bass) sung by two GREAT HORNED OWLS in the Miller's Landing area, and a singing SONG SPARROW at the boat Harbor on the 23rd.

      A pair of NORTHERN FLICKERS (Yellow-shafted) has been coming to a feeder on Kachemak Drive since the Christmas Bird Count and one is still coming regularly.

      I tried my best to find out what had been reported for Homer for the Great Backyard Bird Count (15th-18th) and was only partially successful. Some interesting reports (but not exact locations): SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE, GLAUCOUS GULL, BOREAL OWL, LINCOLN'S SPARROW, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, NORTHERN HAWK OWL (that one near the Diamond Creek Trail).

      From the North Fork Rd: BOREAL CHICKADEES, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, DOWNY WOODPECKER, GRAY JAY, MAGPIE, PINE GROSBEAK, COMMON REDPOLL, NORTHERN SHRIKE. (But no Siskins so far this year in spite of huge numbers all last year.)

      IT'S A GREAT DAY TO BIRD!!