Seward Birding List from January 25-28, 2013

  • c_griz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2013
      Many thanks to the birders including Aaron Bowman and Michelle Michaud who contacted me about their sightings during the busy extended weekend. I especially congratulate keen-eyed and persistent Toby Burke and his family who found the most species and numbers during their Monday bird survey after nailing the Siberian Accentor.

      This list is helpful snapshot of Seward species and numbers for late January. Of note, about 30 Rock Sandpipers, 6 DUNLINS, 20+ Snow Buntings, 1 reported MCKAYS BUNTING, and one Kingfisher were added by January 31st.

      Gadwall 4
      Mallard 31
      Harlequin Duck 30
      Surf Scoter 250
      White-winged Scoter 5
      Black Scoter 100
      Long-tailed Duck 3
      Bufflehead 1
      Common Goldeneye 25
      Barrow's Goldeneye 100
      HOODED MERGANSER 1
      Common Merganser 70
      Red-breasted Merganser 5
      Common Loon 1
      Yellow-billed Loon 1
      Horned Grebe 5
      Pelagic Cormorant 20
      Bald Eagle 20
      Mew Gull 150
      Herring Gull 2 - probably hybrid with Glaucous-winged Gull
      THAYER'S GULL 1 - first year bird, possibly two birds (Burke)
      Glaucous-winged Gull 400
      GLAUCOUS GULL 1 - first year
      Marbled Murrelet 2
      Rock Pigeon 30
      Saw-whet Owl 1
      Downy Woodpecker 4
      Hairy Woodpecker 1
      Steller's Jay 15
      Black-billed Magpie 12
      Northwest Crow 100
      Common Raven 25
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee 15
      Red-breasted Nuthatch 5
      Brown Creeper 1
      American Dipper 1 - at Spring Creek
      Golden-crowned Kinglet 3
      American Robin 8
      Varied Thrush 1
      SIBERIAN ACCENTOR!
      Fox Sparrow 1
      Song Sparrow 1
      Lincoln's Sparrow 1
      White-crowned Sparrow 6
      Golden-crowned Sparrow 3
      Dark-eyed Junco 5
      RUSTY BLACKBIRD 30 - at horse corral
      BRAMBLING 4
      Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch 6
      Pine Grosbeak 10
      White-winged Crossbill 30
      Common Redpoll 70
      Pine Siskin 100

      Now I have to get out there and find all these birds! Thanks for the inspiration!

      Happy Birding!
      Carol Griswold
      Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter