[AK Birding] Swans

  • Bob Winckler
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 8 1:56 PM
      Hi Birders,

      After spooking the flock of swans in the Palmer hay field yesterday, I went back today to see if I could get a good ID on all of the birds. Today I stayed in the car and scoped from the window.

      All 9 are Tundra Swans, with 6 adults and 3 immature birds in the group. They have been feeding from a large roll of hay in a field just off of Inner Springer Loop. Heading towards Palmer on the Glenn Hwy., make a right on Inner Springer Loop and the hay field with the swans is 3/10's of a mile on the right side of the road. Just a you reach the field, there's a large green garage on the right and the hay field opens up just as you pass the garage. Just after passing the garage you should see a single large roll of hay about 500 yards back from the road. The swans are usually clustered around that hay roll.

      A local resident who lives on Outer Springer Loop and who called in a swan sighting during the Matanuska Valley CBC's Count Week, stated that these swans have been hanging out in that field since last fall.

      To my knowledge, this is the first winter record for Tundra Swan in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough.
      Cheers,
      Bob Winckler
      Wasilla
    • Bob Winckler
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 8 3:04 PM
        Hi Birders,

        Oops!! I got carried away in my last posting about the Palmer swans.

        The 9 swans currently hanging out in Palmer are not the first winter record for Tundra Swan in the Mat-Su. I had forgotten that Steve Waltz found an adult Tundra Swan back on January 12, 2008 at the Eklutna Tailrace at the Eklutna Power Plant along the Old Glenn Highway in the Mat-Su and he reported that finding on eBird.

        So, the 9 Tundra Swans now in Palmer are probably the second winter record for the Mat-Su! I think.

        Sorry Steve,
        Bob Winckler
        Wasilla
      • David Sonneborn
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 14, 2013
          There are two Trumpeter Swans at Spenard Crossing
          Dave S
          Sunday
          1:30 PM
          Anchorage

          Sent from my iPhone
        • David Sonneborn
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2014
            2 Trumpeter
            Spenard Xing

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Eric Youngblood
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 26, 2014
              This morning there were 20+ Trumpeter swans along with 1 Tundra swan being followed by the usual Mallards, Am. Wigeons and 1 Goldeneye off the Seward Highway pullout at Potter's Marsh. They could also be seen across the railroad tracks on the mud flats at a distance.

              Eric Youngblood
              Anchorage
            • Eric Youngblood
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 23, 2015
                2 swans (heads tucked) currently sitting in a hole in the ice in the middle of Spenard crossing. Many Mallards and a few Common Mergansers and Common Goldeneye.

                Eric Youngblood