RFI: Denali Highway through Kenai Peninsula

  • Ian Davies
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2012
      Hello,

      I'm a college student who has just been working with a field crew on
      the Canning River up on the North Slope for the past 5 weeks, and over
      the next 10 days a couple friends and I are going to head down to the
      Seward area via Denali and Anchorage. We have some birds that we are
      interested in seeing, a bit of a long list, but any information on any
      of the below species would be hugely appreciated. After the species
      name I have put the locations that I've been able to glean from eBird
      that seem good. Also, does anyone have the contact information for
      Grace Burke? She seems to have seen many species recently down on the
      Kenai that would be of great interest to myself and my friends. In
      addition to individual species, does anyone have any recommendations
      for getting offshore at Seward and cruising the fjords, is there one
      service that is more birder friendly or more wallet friendly?
      Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

      Steller's Eider - perhaps one hanging around somewhere?
      White-tailed Ptarmigan - Hirshey Saddle?
      Either albatross, Short-tailed Shearwater, and Fork-tailed Storm-
      Petrel - Boat trip off of Seward?
      Red-faced Cormorant - seemingly easy at Seward
      Aleutian Tern - Kenai flats area?
      Alcids, namely Pigeon Guillemot, Marbled, Kittlitz's, Ancient
      Murrelets, Parakeet Auklet, and both Puffins - boat trip off of Seward?
      Boreal Owl - no idea!
      Pacific Wren - should be fairly widespread?
      Arctic Warbler - somewhere along Denali Highway?
      Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch - Hirshey Saddle?

      Good birding,
      Ian Davies
      Amherst, MA
      goshawk227@...