Homer Highs and Lows

  • The Burkes
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2012
      We birded Homer yesterday on 3/31. The land birding was abysmal - too warm, too sunny, far milder than the cool, cloudy forecast. Town and outlying areas were absolutely quiet. A grim hour spent at Seaside Farms yielded only a brief glimpse of two Common Ravens and nothing more. Kachemak Bay had plentiful birds though very "low" high tides (13.5' and 12.8') failed to bring birds in close. Highlights included a lone Emperor Goose in Mud Bay, 3 Eurasian Wigeon drakes (among 50 American), 30 Steller's Eiders, 1 Yellow-billed Loon, 1 Red-throated Loon, 2,000 Rock Sandpipers, and a pair of Lapland Longspurs. The Northern Pintail X Mallard hybrid drake was located east of Miller Landing among a thousand-plus Mallards. Forty-seven species were tallied for the day with literally only a handful observed away from the Bay. At the Hohe feeder - no Purple Finch, only a pair of greedy Red-breasted Nuthatches taunting us.

      Toby and Laura Burke
      Kenai, AK