Someone else see 70+ black birds in Anchorage?

  • alissa.oder
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2012
      Anchorage -- I was leaving the Pioneer Home downtown between 9th and 10th at 4:30PM when I saw a tree full of robin-sized black birds. I had no binoculars and no good camera. I took photos and video with phone, but they're not very good. I'll try to post them under album name A Oder. There were over 70. They flew from the tree to a utility wire. They had very long, thin, straight bills that gave the impression of being slightly upturned. They sounded somewhat like the Rusty Blackbird recording on Bird Songs of Alaska. They all seemed very black, but I was too far away to see if there could be any dark brown or eye rings. Believe it or not, I don't know what European Starlings sound like, so I wouldn't recognize these well either. If anyone relocates and identifies them, I'd appreciate information.

      Anchorage
      Alissa Oder
    • TomNS
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2012
        I'll bet they are starlings. I've been seeing quite a few this year in the downtown area around L and 9th or so (near the Park Strip) and near Chester Creek and lagoon.

        --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, "alissa.oder" <alissa.oder@...> wrote:

        > Anchorage -- I was leaving the Pioneer Home downtown between 9th and 10th at 4:30PM when I saw a tree full of robin-sized black birds. I had no binoculars and no good camera. I took photos and video with phone, but they're not very good. I'll try to post them under album name A Oder. There were over 70. They flew from the tree to a utility wire. They had very long, thin, straight bills that gave the impression of being slightly upturned. They sounded somewhat like the Rusty Blackbird recording on Bird Songs of Alaska. They all seemed very black, but I was too far away to see if there could be any dark brown or eye rings. Believe it or not, I don't know what European Starlings sound like, so I wouldn't recognize these well either. If anyone relocates and identifies them, I'd appreciate information.
        >
        > Anchorage
        > Alissa Oder

      • Chris Maack
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2012
          I was visiting a friend this week, who lives off Tudor, near the Y,
          and we saw a flock in her neighborhood (probably over 20 birds). I've
          seen them in College Village, along Ship Creek, and even in my
          neighborhood near Hope Cottages.

          Chris Maack
          Anchorage