Thursday Night's Anchorage Audubon Program

  • w
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2012
      Thursday evening, February 16, Joel Schmutz from the USGS Alaska Science Center will present a fabulous program on "The Lives of 4 Goose Species in America's greatest nesting area--The Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta."
      The YK Delta is a massive flat wetland with an abundance of 4 species of geese: Cackling Geese, Greater White-fronted Geese, Emperor Geese, and Black Brant. According to Joel, "These 4 species share many attributes, and one could encounter nests of all of them in a 100 meter walk." However, "On the breeding area, differences in body size among species affects what plants they eat, where they nest, and their behavior. " Thursday's talk will be a great chance to get a glimpse into research on an incredible ecosystem that most of us don't get an opportunity to visit, even though it's right in our own back yard.
      As usual, our monthly meeting will begin at 7:00 pm on Thursday at the BP Energy Center, and there are always cookies! We hope to see you there.