Thanks to Anchorage Birders

  • kennethtarbox
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
      Today thanks to the updates and great information on location I along with my wife Connie and Toby Burke found the Dusky Thrush on Loussac. It was a long day with a 7 hour round trip drive from Soldotna but well worth it. Thanks to all who have kept up the sightings and posted the results.
    • Beth Fleischer
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2011
        So, I'm a causal birder and my husband and I have been watching the dusky
        thrush conversations with interest, wondering JUST HOW RARE a dusky thrush
        must be in Alaska. We have decided that despite that its simply a "rare"
        bird in Alaska in winter, that it must be REALLY REALLY RARE, judging that
        people will drive from Soldotna to see it. I'm reminded of when I used to
        think dairy queen was rare enough to drive to Soldotna for.

        So I guess tomorrow, my son and I will search for the Dusky Thrush.
        Wouldn't want to miss a golden opportunity, even if we currently don't
        appreciate how golden it is!!!

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2011
          Amoung hardcore birders, there is a designation for a bird that is
          beyond rare. The term is vagrant. That means that the bird is way out
          of it's normal range, and seeing one is basically a once in a lifetime
          sighting.
          The Dusky Thrush, is an Asian vagrant. It usually winters in Central,
          and Southern China, Taiwan, and Japan. The Redwing in Seward last
          month was another vagrant thrush that had strayed even further from
          it's normal European range. Birders came from much further than
          Soldotna to see these birds. They came from the lowere 48 as well.
          I am grateful to my fellow birders, principally, Betty, Jean, and Bob,
          who helped me get to see these wonderful vagrants.