Kincaid Short-eared Owl

  • Aaron Bowman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2011
      This afternoon I took a ski today down the coastal trail from the
      Kincaid chalet and scrambled down the bluff to the coastal dunes. Once
      I was skiing along between the grassy dunes and the tidal mudflats (with
      growing chunks of ice) I noticed a distant bird flying towards me with
      stiff butterfly like wing-beats. Soon I was watching a _Short-eared
      Owl_ hunting at a pretty close range of about 50m or so. It was great
      fun watching the beautiful bird dive, face planting, into the soft
      snow. Unfortunately, I did not see it catch anything, but after it
      moved on, I skied over to admire the holes it burrowed into the snow.

      A few days ago I saw a nice group of 10 _Pine Grosbeaks_ from the
      coastal trail near Pt. Woronzof. It has been nice to see so many
      grosbeaks and redpolls around this winter...is it just me, or do they
      seem more abundant this winter? I will look forward to the Christmas
      Bird Count!

      Hope all is well,

      Aaron Bowman