American Dipper

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2011
      American Dipper seen flying along the Little Campbell Creek channel at 80th & Homer Drive, Anchorage, on the south side of Fire Station 12.

      The creek is barely 2 feet wide, and flows through a 4 or 5 foot diameter culvert under the Seward Highway just north of Dimond Blvd. I've seen dippers in this area several times, and I've seen small salmon or dolly varden in the creek. This creek flows through so many culverts and channels,and through many commercial/industrial areas. It is surprising to see the life that it supports.

      Gary Bullock
      Anchorage
    • spinscan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2016
        Today around 12:30 pm I observed an American Dipper just below the first foot  bridge upstream from Spenard Crossing. While watching and taking pictures of it swimming and diving it brought a small wiggling fish onto the ice and started to smack  it to the ice over and over by lifting it by its beak and throwing it to the ice until the fish quit moving then swallowed it whole.  After it ate the fish it went down stream a ways and sat on the ice just singing and singing. He sat there so long that i finally left. What an amazing  (for me) experience! !

        I will post a couple pictures tonight

        Gayland Wohlgemuth
        Anchorage

        Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone