Seward Pacific Loon pile up!

  • c_griz
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      Blizzard-like conditions today; could not tell if it was actually snowing or just blowing yesterday's snow around. Temps in the low 30s, little to low visibility at times, howling west-northwest wind throwing a tantrum (and anything loose.)

      Ventured down to the harbor for a peek: three DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, one just flapping up on a dock, cruised the sheltered south end of the boat harbor. It seems late to have them here. A PELAGIC CORMORANT swam around with several RED-NECKED GREBES and a platoon of COMMON MERGANSERS. Another COME fleet snoozed out of the storm on the south side of the upland rocks.

      I counted over 60 PACIFIC LOONS bobbing in the waves just south of the harbor mouth to the dolphin, diving and even some flying into the teeth of the wind. I've never seen so many in Seward before. It's amazing!

      Back in town, a VARIED THRUSH blew past, wings open wide for stability. I don't think he was even trying to fly, just going for a wild ride.

      Happy Birding!
      Carol Griswold
      Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter