Seward Pacific Loons, Tree Sparrow

  • c_griz
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2011
      Surprise snowfall last night of 2-4" continued today, adding a few more inches.
      I watched at least 20 PACIFIC LOONS fishing off Lowell Point Road in the snow squall this noon. Also clocked a BELTED KINGFISHER whizzing along just above the water at 20 mph until I lost sight of it in the snow flurries. MARBLED MURRELETS, BARROW'S GOLDENEYES, COMMON and RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, RED-NECKED GREBES also spotted on this gray snowy day.

      Back in town, PINE GROSBEAK numbers are increasing. A SHARP-SHINNED HAWK swooped by to check them out; the guard MAGPIE tried to move it along like it did the Bohemian Waxwings a few days ago, but the hawk turned the tables and tried to move the magpie along for lunch. It ended in a draw.

      Ava reported an AMERICAN TREE SPARROW on Saturday and more winter birds like GROSBEAKS and JUNCOS showing up. They join her busy feeder crowd including DOWNY and HAIRY WOODPECKERS, CHESTNUT-BACKED and BLACK CAPPED CHICKADEES, and NUTHATCHES.

      Happy Birding!
      Carol Griswold
      Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter