Great Gray owl - maybe

  • echecs@alaska.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2011
      Earlier tonight, right at dusk, we could hear two different owls from our deck.
      One I definitely identified as a Great Horned Owl, but the other one I wasn't too
      sure about. It's not one I had heard before.

      I went to the "all about birds" web site since they have recordings of bird calls.
      The closest I got was a Great Gray Owl, but my bird book says the are rare for the
      Kenai Peninsula.

      Can someone shed some light on this? Maybe someone else in my area that is more
      familiar with nocturnal birds in this area.

      Thanks,

      Dorey Harman
      Nikiski