first fall hummingbird

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2011
      A while back I tried to give away hummingbird feeders with limited success. I am reminded of this because on Wednesday the 31st, Ellie Werbe had a hummingbird visit her nasturtiums on Madsen Ave. This is the first hummingbird I have heard about here this fall. In Homer, an Anna's Hummingbird was photographed within the last few days. It's hummingbird time.

      If you call or email me by Saturday morning, I will deliver a hummingbird feeder to you. Same deal as before, it's best if you have persistent fall flowers in your garden that you have a good view of. Also, you should have an interest in documenting what kind of hummingbird would show up by photographing it and/or calling me at 486-3087. I'll be out of town for a while starting Sunday but someone will be covering the phone and would get back to you.

      Most of our fall hummers are Rufous Hummers, and we have never documented an Anna's, although there is little doubt that Anna's occur here. This is the species we are trying to document, and feeders are the way to get a bird to return repeatedly to the same spot for photography. A few years ago I wrote a summary of hummingbird occurrence on Kodiak which I will post in a separate message.

      Cheers, Rich MacIntosh