Sharp-tailed Sandpipers on Kenai Flats

  • The Burkes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      We observed two juvenile Sharp-tailed Sandpipers Wednesday evening (8/31) at 7 PM during a 25.1' high tide on the Kenai Flats from the Cannery Road ponds. They were roosting and preening with at least three Pectoral Sandpipers (an unknown number were roosting in nearby tall grass). We also had a close flyby of another mixed flock of 8 Pectoral/Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, ID's based on vocalizations. Also present were Greater Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers, and both species of dowitchers.

      Toby and Laura Burke
      Kenai, AK