Re: Seward Birding Tips

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2006
      If you're interested in seeing the auklets and other assorted
      pelagic birds, just hang out with a scope along Ballaine road just
      south of the breakwater for the small boat harbor. That's where
      they've been hanging out in numbers for a few weeks, including the
      goldeneyes, Pelagic Cormorants, grebes, mergansers, and a few
      murrelets. I would then suggest making your way south on Ballaine
      towards the sealife center, scanning the bay for more before you
      head down towards Lowell Point. The first part of this road (with
      all the cliffs) is great for getting up close views of a bunch of
      Marbled Murrelets.

      Once at Lowell Point you should be able to find those Great Blue
      Herons everyone's been talking about (I haven't looked for them,
      yet, so I couldn't tell you where to look).

      Carol could probably give you a better idea of where the current hot-
      spots for all the passerines are. I haven't had a chance to get out
      and about with my binos since the Christmas count.

      I'd offer to go birding with you this weekend, but my wife and I are
      headed to Anchorage for the symphony concert. If you're planning a
      trip on any days other than Sat or Sun, let me know, though. I'd
      love to get out and about with my binos.

      Paul Ollig

      --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, "Linda Encelewski Henrikson"
      <lindajencelewskihenrikson@...> wrote:
      > Wow Whitekeys,
      > This report is so enticing - I'm packing my bags! This week is
      our 21st wedding anniversary and I need to convince the old man that
      the Seward trip is really what I want. Actually - he's a closet
      birder who is now out in full breeding plumage! The 13 yr old is an
      avid birder too. It's a perfect family hobby for all ages.
      > How do we hook up with Carol Griswold? I will gladly accept any
      more Seward tips I can get from anyone. Including hotel