Re: [AK Birding] OK, who has all the redpolls?

  • davidsonne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 20, 2006
      I live a few houses from the Tans and they haven't reached here yet.
      Science marches on.
      David Sonneborn

    • Carmen Field
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 21, 2006
        At our feeder (out by Fritz Creek east of Homer) we rarely get redpolls
        (none so far this year) but the real mystery is where the siskins are...we
        have yet to see a single Pine Siskin at our feeders. Usually we're swamped
        and have gone through bags of thistle seed by now.

        We've also had some unusual visitors at our suet feeder - a Brown Creeper
        feeding on suet (a first for us) and a Golden-Crowned Kinglet that visits
        the suet daily. Last year we had a Ruby-crowned Kinglet at the suet all
        winter, but haven't seen one since fall. We also have one long-billed
        Black-capped Chickadee amongst the numerous other Black-capped and Boreal
        Chickadees.

        Also new to our woods is a male American Three-toed Woodpecker...we've only
        ever seen them on the south side of Kachemak Bay till now.

        Happy Birding!

        Carmen Field