Immature intermediate phase Swainsons Hawk and Great Grey Owl

  • ursus_8
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2011
      An immature Swainson's Hawk was seen from the third floor of the USFWS building at the corner of the New Seward Highway and Tudor on the 18th of March. Rosa Meehan spotted the bird and both of us were able to get good looks as the hawk was circling overhead. See page 184 in Dunne, Sibley, and Sutton 1988 Hawks in Flight to see the plummage characteristics (it is identified as a "light" phase in the caption). In Sibly it looked like the intermediate juvenile in the figure.

      About 15 minutes ago, when I went out to fill the bird bath, I flushed a Great Grey Owl sitting in the large spruce tree behind my house. The owl flew to the yard at the corner between Bree and Pacific Vew Dr. From there it flew down over the bluff between the two big houses at end of the road. I am guessing this is what happened to my red squirrel which hasn't been seen for a week!!

      No photos of either bird.

      Tom Evans
      Ocenaview