Audubon Seward Trip

  • Chris Maack
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2011
      Congratulations to the hardy birders who braved the winds of Seward on
      Sunday for the annual Audubon visit. Delesta Fox, Bev Cason and I
      drove down on Saturday and at times found it difficult to even open
      the car door. Snow and grit were blasting across the open spaces. By
      the next day the wind had slacked off some, at least enough for our
      group to emerge and stand along the shoreline or in residential areas
      for a few minutes to share sightings. Warm layers and windproof outer
      garments were a must, plus boots with good traction on ice. Thanks to
      Carol Griswold, Robin Collman and Jim Herbert of Seward for joining us
      and providing guidance. There were about a dozen participants from
      Anchorage and the Valley.

      Birds seen by some or all group members:

      Common Murre
      Surf Scoter
      White-winged Scoter
      Barrow's Goldeneye
      Common Goldeneye
      Long-tailed Duck
      Harlequin Duck
      Horned Grebe
      Red-necked Grebe
      Pelagic Cormorant
      Common Loon
      Greater Scaup
      Mallard
      Gadwall
      Common Merganser
      Bald Eagle
      American Dipper
      Pine Grosbeak
      Pine Siskin
      Downy Woodpecker
      Eurasian Starling
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee
      Red-breasted Nuthatch
      McKay's Bunting (seen by Dan Crowson but not reflushed despite
      concerted effort)
      Steller's Jay
      Black-billed Magpie
      Northwestern Crow
      Common Raven
      King Eider found by Aaron Bowman after the group dispersed.

      Mammals: feral rabbit, sea otter, harbor seal

      Chris Maack