More Robins than Redpolls (Anchorage)

  • prentki@acsalaska.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2011
      One Robin appeared at my feeders last week, then 2, 3, 5, and today 9.
      They started on the black sunflower seed, then figured out that the shelled
      sunflower pieces were also edible. I occasionally see a winter Robin on my
      NE corner of Anchorage, but always they are after remaining berries or crab
      apples. This is first time I have had more than one at a time, and the
      first time any have shown interest in my feeders. I'm curious whether
      Anchorage Robins have been using other feeders in town. If this Bohemian
      Waxwings learn this trick, look out.

      Dick Prentki

      Anchorage

      Prentki@...

    • TEvans
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 22, 2011
        Hi,

        I have had up to 10-12 robins in the neighborhood, around John's Park all
        winter. It is interesting to see what they are doing. I have two
        individuals that regularly come to my platform feeders to feed on primarily
        shelled sunflower seeds. They also feed on the shelled sunflower seeds on
        the ground below one of the tube feeders as well. Periodically they take
        drinks from the heated bird bath between bouts of feeding on seeds. Most
        of the time, when I get the larger groups, they feed on the berries from the
        large choke cherry tree in front of my house. Most of the times they are by
        themselves but I have seen them with Bohemian Waxwings and an occasional
        Townsend's Solitaire. During the Martin Luther King weekend, when
        temperatures were about 7oF, I saw about 15 robins flying around bushes
        above John's Creek and it looked like they might be getting spiders. They
        were super active and at times tried to hover by outer branches that were
        too small to land on. There were no berries on these bushes. Even when it
        warms up in the spring the two regulars at the feeders sometimes continue to
        feed on shelled sunflower seeds even after I have seen earthworms that
        should be available to them.

        Tom

        Anchorage

        Prentki@... <mailto:Prentki%40acsalaska.net>